ENVIRONMENT + SUSTAINABILITY
ROTARY’S NEWEST AREA OF FOCUS
In June 2020, The Rotary Foundation Trustees and the Rotary International Board of Directors voted unanimously to approve the Environment as the seventh Area of Focus. Rotary supports activities that strengthen the conservation and protection of natural resources, advance environmental sustainability, and foster harmony between people and the environment. District 7620 has quickly committed to this area of focus. Efforts are led by the District’s Environment Committee.
World Clean Up Day – September 17, 2022
World River Day – September 25, 2022
The aims of these awards are to encourage clubs to undertake environmental initiatives and by publicly presenting the Awards, encourage other clubs to explore their own environmental initiatives.
- Biodiversity | April – Doug Tallamy “Nature’s best hope”
- Biodiversity | April – Mary Anne Richebarger “Pollinator gardening”
- Circular Economy | May – Karin Tome “Zero Waste”
- Circular Economy | May – Joe Richardson “Lunch out of Landfills”
- Well-Being | June – Jeff Turner and Cliff Strawitch “Putting a Price on Carbon”
- Well-Being | June – Hande Apaydin” Footprint calculator”
Energy | July – Jim McCrea & Charlie Garlow “Community Solar Program”