Four-Way Test Speech Contest
From the earliest days, Rotary has been concerned with promoting high ethical standards. One of the world’s most widely quoted statements is Rotary’s 4-Way Test, which was created in 1932 by Rotarian Herbert J. Taylor. Every year Rotary districts around the world sponsor high school 4-Way Test contests. Though COVID precautions have eliminated our in-person 4-Way Test competition, this year’s competition will be held during our Virtual District Conference.
High school students, grades 9 through 12, are eligible to participate. Each contestant chooses the topic of his/her speech. The purpose of the speech is to persuade others while applying the principles of the Rotary 4-Way Test. The goal is for students to make the world a better place, to practice the virtues of critical thinking and ethical decision making, to develop public speaking and leadership skills to positively influence and inspire others regarding an issue that they find passionate.
THE ROTARY 4-WAY TEST
Of the things we think, say, or do:
Is it the TRUTH?
Is it FAIR to all concerned?
Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
2021 Contest Information
Does your club want to host a 4WT Competition?
- Watch an Overview (view slidedeck)
- Discussion with Rick Rubel regarding Ethics and the Four Way Test
- How to Judge a 4WT Competition
- January 2021: Club members and Interact mentors recruit students
- January 2021: Students without school mentor support will be assigned to a Rotarian or Rotaractor
- Before March 27: Clubs hold their own selection competitions if desired
- March 27: Club Participation forms are due including the $200 fee per student
- April 1: Student Application forms are due
- April 10: Semi-Final Contest will be held live at Glen Burnie High School: 830 a.m. If the situation is not conducive to meeting in person, we will have a virtual competition.
- April 24: Final Contest (To be judged by conference attendees). 1st place will be awarded $1,500. 2nd place will be awarded $1,000. 3rd place will be awarded $750. 4th place will be awarded $500.
Helpful Resources for Students
- How to Prepare a Speech
- View a sample scoring sheet
- Portions of the Speech / Speech Basics
- 2019 Winner Videos
- 2020 Winner Videos
Rotarian and Rotaractor mentors will support students preparing for our 4-Way Test Speech Contest. Mentor applications due by December 31, 2020.
- Mentors will be assigned a student in January.
- Mentors will support students through the stages to competition to include picking a topic, developing a speech, and honing the performance.
- Mentors will support students through the District Semifinals on April 10 and through the final competition, as indicated.
- Video that explains how to prepare for a 4-WayTest Speech Competition and how a 4-WayTest competitor is judged
- On line videos of previous district 4-Way Test winners
- Rotarian support as needed related to mentoring
Helpful Resources for Mentors